[linux-audio-user] novation remote 25 usb midi controller

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki eric at zhevny.com
Tue Mar 21 19:13:09 EST 2006

Matthew Yee-King wrote:
> Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>> Matthew Yee-King wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>> I have just been reading your post about remote 25s from 3 years ago!
>>> I just installed a nice fresh debian testing etch system and was
>>> shocked to find the remote 25 appeared in my list of midi ports in
>>> qjackctl - wow. Can't find any docs about this on the web so thought
>>> you might like to know, It's a stock debian 2.6.15 686 kernel using
>>> the alsa drivers that come with it.
>> After you sent your mail I upgraded my work laptop to etch over the
>> weekend with the packaged linux 2.6.15-1-k7. I just plugged my remote
>> 25 into it. amidi -l shows it! Very encouraging. I'll have to actually
>> use this thing now. :)
> excellent - when i bought that thing i phoned novation and asked them if
> they supported linux/ would release specs etc and the support bloke
> said, with a laugh, 'never!'. I'd like to see his face when someone
> tells him it works plug and play on a stock linux distro no support
> required thanks very much.
>
> Well - what are you waiting for?... happy twiddling

Yup ... but, but, there seems to be an issue with the firmware update.
Clemens suggests that my firmware may just be too old to handle the usb
data rate. So, I'll have to install etch on that spare partition on my
main audio box so I can use the old ymfpci card for old-school midi data
transfer.

Of course, I could just build a kernel to make sure I've got the same
usb options and use the existing sarge install. But, I've been meaning
to install etch for a while anyway.

-Eric Rz.