[linux-audio-user] Rain

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Thu Mar 23 16:41:02 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:37:18 +0100
Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:05:29PM +0000, Folderol wrote:
> > Well, the title of a track actually.
>

> It's very nice and moody. Boy, does it feel odd this morning,
> bright sunshine flooding through my window ;)
>
> I'm not realy a fan of the initial synth sound. It's a bit
> overly spacy and contourless.

I call that one Ethereal and it has given me a lot of trouble with
this piece. I keep feeling it isn't quite right, but no other voices I
have are as good. If anyone has any Zyn. patches they think might sound
better, please send them to me and I'll try them out!

> I like the bell like sound in
> the second section more.
>
> Also second section, starting at about 50 secs, the a bit
> brass like background sound could be more smooth, less
> metallic.

Hard Synth is what I call this, and I actually deliberately wanted a
sort of gritty brash sound to the counter melody. With the later
horn-like sound, the music is being more accepting of itself.

> (I'm just using terms like brass or bells as point of
> reference, it's too hard to talk about this stuff otherwise.
> Just to be clear, I'm not asking for emulative sounds ;)
>
> What this slower voice plays there and another sound later
> on, is a bit hard to follow in places. It starts to make sense
> if I concentrate on it, but the connection to the forground
> could be more clear.

Thank you. This means I succeeded :)

I was trying to get an effect where the musical 'perspective' changes
depending on which line you are most prominently listening to.

> I listened like 4 and a half times to formulate this, so
> I'm nitpicking, nothing that would realy bother me.
> Added to my collection.

For this last comment you can nit-pick as much as you like!

> Thanks for sharing!

And I am very glad you enjoy it.