FireWire or USB 2.0 audio interfaces, was Re: [linux-audio-user] What is currently the best USB audio interface for Linux?

ico ico at vt.edu
Fri Mar 24 09:14:45 EST 2006

>===== Original Message From Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladolidt at terra.es>
=====
>Are FireWire (IEEE-1394) audio interfaces supported by ALSA? If the
>answer is *no* then do USB 2.0 audio interfaces make use of full speed?
>
>From what I've gathered, no USB 2.0 audio are currently supported as there is
no USB 2.0 standard for audio USB devices (please correct me if I am wrong).

Regarding Firewire (IEEE-1394), apparently Freebob is pretty darn close to
getting stuff to work (they even have some reports stating that audio works
just fine on select devices). See
http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page for more info.

Best wishes,

Ico