[linux-audio-user] Sharing samples via P2P

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Sat Mar 25 04:24:34 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar, 2006 at 08:23PM -0500, Dana Olson spake thus:

<snip - in the interests of bandwidth>

> > > Hmm, what about a page at SourceForge? I don't know if they have limits
> > > on something like this, but I remember seeing something on SF that was
> > > not an application, but a website for free stuff. I can't remember
> > > exactly what it was, but it might be possible that they would host it
> > > happily?
> >
> > Argh!  I hate getting stuff off source forge simply because of how
> > many clicks it takes.
>
> I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about using them for a web host
> for a free software project... A big sample/preset library site. Where
> you can download stuff through a webpage, not through SF's stupid file
> management/CVS crappy stuff. I've seen projects that do just this thing,
> without using the file/project management stuff.

Ahhhh.  That's different!

> > Personally, I was thinking more in terms of samples than complete
> > pieces and had this idea that we would have a common library, accessed
> > through p2p.  Maybe a bit fanciful.
>
> I understand. I just don't really think p2p is the best tool for this
> job - aside from the bandwidth issue, an easy-to-use website is much
> better suited.

Then what we probably want is something like freesound.  I thought
that it would be great, but most of it just turned out to be people
making silly noises and then uploading hundreds of copies of it
through different filters.

If we could do something similar, with some kind of quality control,
it might be better.

And I don't mean complicated quality control.  Maybe something like
having to submit a track you've made before you get an account and
then you're free to upload.

I quite liked the P2P thing, especially since Circle has a web front
end, too.  It would solve Folderol's storage problem at the same time.

James

> > > Dana

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)