[linux-audio-user] Re: midi note numbers

Steve Wahl steve at pro-ns.net
Thu Mar 30 16:02:57 EST 2006

Oops, a followup to my own message:

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 02:41:22PM -0600, Steve Wahl wrote:

> If it was me, I'd display both the Channel numbers and the Patch /
> Program change numbers as 1 based (1-16 and 1-128, respectively),
> because I know my two synths (Roland and Ensoniq) agree with this.

I also note that the General Midi specification lists the sounds as
1 - Acoustic Grand ... 128 - Gunshot.  So there's another argument for
being 1 based for program change.

> And, getting back to the original topic of note numbers there's this:
> http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/table2.html

That table says it comes from the Midi Manufacturers association, but
it can't be right, can it?  OK, note 60 is suposed to be middle C, aka
C4 (iff you chose that designation for middle C).  But note 57, three
half steps down, is in the A column on line 3, which would mean you'd
call note 57 A3 while calling note 60 C4.  Surely you normally switch
the octave number when going between G and A, right?!?

'nother words, trust that table about as far as you can spit, if that.

--> Steve
Steve Wahl    steve at pro-ns.net

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who
understand binary and those who don't.  -- Unknown