[linux-audio-user] Re: midi note numbers

Steve Wahl steve at pro-ns.net
Thu Mar 30 17:32:20 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:16:11PM -0300, luis jure wrote:
> el Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:02:57 -0600
> Steve Wahl <steve at pro-ns.net> escribió:
>

> > That table says it comes from the Midi Manufacturers association, but
> > it can't be right, can it?  OK, note 60 is suposed to be middle C, aka
> > C4 (iff you chose that designation for middle C).  But note 57, three
> > half steps down, is in the A column on line 3, which would mean you'd
> > call note 57 A3 while calling note 60 C4.  Surely you normally switch
> > the octave number when going between G and A, right?!?
>

> no, you switch octave numbers at C's.

Wow, I'm daft then!  Oh, well, it's music. It's art, not science, it
doesn't have to make sense. :-)

Ran into this while verifying what you said:

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/appendix/octaveregisters/octaveregisters.html

It gives different octave numbering systems.  ALL of which switch at
C.  The two midi systems it gives are Note 0 = C-2, and Note 0 = C0,
giving middle C options of C3 or C5, omitting entirely the possibility
that C4 is middle C.

Sounds to me like the old wonderful thing about standards, that you
have so many to choose from, is REALLY in play here.

Anyway, thanks for coorecting me, Luis!

Steve Wahl    steve at pro-ns.net

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who
understand binary and those who don't.  -- Unknown