[linux-audio-user] Re: Snd-ls linking

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Nov 3 16:17:05 EST 2006

carmen:
>> What is not working properly with jack in Snd and Snd-ls?
>
> nothing :) ive experienced some stability (crash/freezeup) issues which
> tend to spread to jackd, however. given how fast the updates are coming,
> i should try again, my version is a few weeks old. to be fair,
> mhwaveedit carshes when exporting to mp3.

Yeah, I have experienced those crashes too. But I think it is because
it runs out of memory, which doesn't work very well with jacks
memory-locking policy. For snd, this problem is solved very easely
by just calling memunlockall, but that shouldn't be done when running the
realtime extension (and manually locking used memory is not very doable),
so its a quite unsolvable problem. (Well, you could buy more memory, or
snd+guile could be reprogrammed to use less memory, or the linux kernel
could be more gentle with its killing-policy.)