[linux-audio-user] Gentoo: Alsa/Snd-usb-audio not working anymore

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Nov 7 16:37:45 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 16:14 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 15:47 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 21:03 +0100, Markus Herhoffer wrote:
> > >
> > > ./alsasound status and the modules are ok. But this is *very* interesting:
> > >
> > > # cat /proc/asound/cards
> > > 0 [M2x2           ]: USB-Audio - MidiSport 2x2
> > >                      M-Audio MidiSport 2x2 at usb-0000:00:02.0-2, full speed
> > > 1 [USB            ]: USB-Audio - MAYA44 USB
> > >                      AUDIOTRAK MAYA44 USB at usb-0000:00:02.1-1, full speed
> > >
> > > WTF? My soundcard is numberd as 1 while my MIDI device is 0. I've
> > > unplugged the MIDI dev, replugged it and everything worked fine :-)
> > >
> > > Thanks for the hint!
> > >
> > > Now I just need a solution that the MAYA44 stays number 0. I usually
> > > unplug and replug the devices to use them on other systems.
> > >

> > <pedantic>
> >
> > Really should not matter - ALSA supports addressing devices by name
> > which is what apps should be doing.
> >
> > </pedantic>
>
> <pedant-amongst pedants>
> Maybe users should use names, but apps shouldn't be doing this. They
> would become totally non-portable.
> </pedant-amongst-pedants>

How so?  The app just enumerates the devices and the user selects one.
The app remembers the setting.  If the selected device does not exist,
make the user select another one, or fall back to the next available
device.

> what actually is the method to refer to them by name anyway? i've never
> seen it ...

For the case above, Maya44 is "default:USB", other device is
"default:M2x2".

(Probably the USB audio driver should use a better short name, and of
course this should be documented somewhere)