[linux-audio-user] The famous "Jack Hum" (Can't record and desparate)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Nov 9 21:49:39 EST 2006

Carlo Capocasa wrote:

> I should also mention that I have a firewire audio interface with
> included microphone pre-amp, and that the hum gets REALLY lound on the
> Mic channels when phantom power is turned on.
>
> So please, please, please help me! I'm desparate. I've been working on
> linux audio for over four years and my music's starting to get good
> enough to be published and I can't record because of some dumb analogue
> engineering problem. Are any smart analogue engineers reading this?

Methinks there is Somewheres (note the forced plural!) in your hardware
setup one or more pieces with bad shielding and/or bad grounding. The
problems might not be limited to cabling - they could be something
inside your hardware.

A possible candidate - your fireware audio interface w/ microphone
pre-amp. It may be originating the hum in the first place, and the mic
pre-amp makes it really loud.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com