[linux-audio-user] Re: [ANN] Snd-ls V0.9.7.12 and jack_capture V0.3.9

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 10 02:44:26 EST 2006

Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> david:

>>> I built jack_capture on my Debian Sid box with no problems.  I have
>>> these installed:
>>>
>>> libjack0.100.0-dev
>>> libsndfile1-dev
>>
>> Well, so far, all jack_capture tells me is "No valid ports found." JACK
>> is running, Rosegarden is playing something via fluidsynth (my Toshiba
>> laptop's chipset doesn't include MIDI hardware).
>
> Did you mean "No valid ports selected"?

Yes - sorry.

> In case, you only need to write "jack_capture", and thats it, the --port
> argument is not necessary. Please also write why you felt the need to
> use the --port argument, I probably have to change the documentation.
>
> In case not, please post the complete output from the terminal,
> including the command you used to start jack_capture.

david at eurolap:~$ jack_capture
No valid ports selected.
david at eurolap:~$

I started trying the "--port" option figuring that maybe I needed to
specify a port.

I don't really know what I'm doing with MIDI under Linux. The fact that
I've gotten it this far has amazed both me and a friend of mine who also
uses Linux (he doesn't do music with it, though). I'm sure my setup
isn't complete and probably isn't done right ... Rosegarden works, but
KMid doesn't always produce any output when it plays a file. For
example, KMid produces no sound when I play a MIDI file recorded on one
of my keyboards, but if I open it in Rosegarden and export it as a MIDI,
KMid can play it. Rosegarden can play the original MIDI just fine.

MIDI and Linux seems to be a very tangled thing, and I'm just barely
getting started.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com