[linux-audio-user] [Music] Sea call

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Nov 10 04:14:20 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 11:29:09PM -0500, julien bodd wrote:

Hi Julien!

> http://www.archive.org/details/sea_call
>
> The track isn't finished, it's just a first idea.
>
> What do you think? Any advice is welcome.

The bassdrum on the intro is too strict. Actualy I think the
intro would be better without it, with just a short fill to
start the beat instead.

The snare sounds weak, just like filtered noise. I know it's
not easy with fully synthesized snares to get away from that
impression.

The sound is best split into 3 parts: stick, snares, body.
Stick is a short burst for the sound the stick hitting the
makes. It's optional. Snares can be made from noise, but
it tends to be too smooth and static on its own.
Ringmodulated Saws can be used for a more metallic sound.
The body is for the low end, somewhat similar to a bassdrum
and can be made from sines.

A clipped envelope with a short plateau before decay might
help with the punch.

One could simply use a sample, though :)

The filtered pad could be made more reminiscent of waves.

The melody is ok, but doesn't get me before 1:44
... that's a realy nice theme. Now the hard part:
extend it ;)

--
Thorsten Wilms