[linux-audio-user] Re: The famous "Jack Hum" (Can't record and desparate)

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Mon Nov 13 12:14:35 EST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 17:04 +0100, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
>

>>>Yes, from talking to someone who works on the assembly line in Dell
>>>here in Limerick, they seem to have totally different manufacturing
>>>standards, tolerances, etc, for the high-end laptops and for the cheap
>>>ones.
>>>

>>I must own an inspironingly cheap one. Say so there is absolutely no
>>software way to get rid of the singing capacitor? That's pretty much
>>what I assume it to be. Singing capacitor caused by the interrupts at
>>the end of each buffering cycle. I only have a vague idea what that
>>means, but maybe you kernel people can help. Please?
>>

>No, there's no possible software fix for this hardware problem.

If you are extremely lucky there might be...
Capacitors will only sing when the current through changes rapidly, so
if you can make sure your current consumption remains constant it might
be better.

Some things you can try:
Disable all power management features and run on full power with lots of
load.
or
Disable all power management features and fix your cpu speed to the
lowest setting.

There is a (very) small chance that this will help.

Pieter