[linux-audio-user] Re: Wanted: Singing Capacitor Fix (was: blaming Jack)

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Nov 14 13:28:49 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:05:57PM +0000, Carlo Capocasa wrote:

> > 	echo 'for ((;1;)); do i=0; done;'|nice -n 19 sh
>
> Shazam, dude shazam. The noise is gone.
>
> Together with the ground loop, this thing has been causing me headaches for FOUR
> YEARS. And now it's gone. Thank you.

Somehow this just jogged my memory... have you tried the "nohlt" kernel
boot parameter? Maybe totally irrelevant.  I haven't used it since I got
a nice quiet Delta 66, but it used to be mandatory to reduce
video-related noise with my older hardware.

There seem to be several variants depending on architecture...
from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:

        nohlt           [BUGS=ARM]

        no-hlt          [BUGS=IA-32] Tells the kernel that the hlt
                        instruction doesn't work correctly and not to
                        use it.

	nohalt          [IA-64] Tells the kernel not to use the power
saving function PAL_HALT_LIGHT when idle. This increases
power-consumption. On the positive side, it reduces interrupt wake-up
latency, which may improve performance                        in certain
environments such as networked servers or real-time systems.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com