[linux-audio-user] FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

Rob Fell rob at curates-egg.org
Wed Nov 15 13:39:33 EST 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Also, what is your experience with full distro upgrades?

Gentoo doesn't really work like that.  You can update any part of the
system you want, whenever you want to (provided dependents build ok).

> You say you do minor upgrades while working during the day. Can you
> really do real-time audio work while upgrading?

My box is rather old and slow these days (hence I routinely run large
latency), but there's no reason why not - provided you have all the
necessary RT patches, realtime privileges etc setup properly.

> I have to admit, it sounds like a lot of crunching. What kind of
> problems do you run into? My biggest complaint for running from source,
> as anyone would attest, is the dependencies - secondary sources that I
> have to find and compiles.  When finally found,  you have to compile,
> and then there may be yet another problem with the dependency! This

Gentoo takes care of merging the dependents into the system (it's rather
similar to apt-get etc).

Of course there are sometimes problems, but you'll usually find the
answer on the forums.

> could be a continuous problem, as you probably very well know. Is this
> reasonably accommodated with Gentoo (like using a package manager)?

I'd be happy to take this off list since this is getting a little Gentoo
specific.  Invite others :)