[linux-audio-user] Re: FC2->Fc3->Fc4->Fc5->FC6->FC*: it's crazy!

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu Nov 16 02:10:51 EST 2006

Yves Potin:
>>> It's a lot of work but it's been very stable for me.
>> Thanks Mark, I'll check it out. How long does it take to start from
>> scratch? I have an P4 1.8 that I'd try it on.
>> Then, how long does it take from start (from the small set you
>> mentioned) to a full DAW?
>
>        Hi, I take permission to respond to share antother experience with
> gentoo :). If you absolutely don't know gentoo, with a barely solid
> knowledge of a linux system, I would say you'd need more or less one day
> to get a working system (with ardour and MuSE, and other smaller audio
> apps). You need to know how to compile a kernel (and patch it for real
> time of course). Gentoo docs are really well written, and you need to read
> them when installing, especially the handbook.
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=install (there are many translations).

Hmm, it might take more time. I used 4 days to get something useful. There
were various reasons to this, I don't remember all of them, but I had huge
problems. Not that I wasn't able to solve them, but it took time. The most
irritating thing for me, was that after I got everything to work, I had to
compile up almost everything again after running emerge update, because
an update of a package caused almost everything not to work, and I had to
run a script that checked dependencies of all packages. And of course, non
of this was easy to find out about for a gentoo newbie.

I have the impression though, after reading the forums, that older
install systems (I used the latest 2006 verion) had fewer problems.