[linux-audio-user] baudline source code (GPL?)

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 21:56:55 EST 2006

> Sure.  The GPL doesn't kick in until you actually distribute the
> code.  If you give someone a binary, you have to give them the
> source for a nominal fee (or free.)  But you can ask for as much
> money as you want before you give them anything.

Not sure that is true in the way they worded on their site...

 From the GPLv2

>  You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:
>
>     a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
>     b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
>     c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

So it would be ok for them to say, if you wish to discuss us licensing
the code under GPL we would be willing to do for a price of XXXXX

But what they have on their site states it is already covered by GPL
license, which would mean they should not be charging for it if they are
distributing the compiled code already I believe.  Basically they should
change the wording on their site to state that it is not under GPL
currently.

        Seablade