[linux-audio-user] Interview with EnergyXT Developer

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Nov 17 22:55:03 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:19:58AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> what are you talking about? almost every VST plugin has a GUI written
> using a GUI toolkit that is not available for linux.

Are you talking about the Windows native GUI toolkit? I beleive it's
possible to use the WineLib part of Wine to recompile Windows apps (and
presumably dlls like VSTs) to run natively on Linux using the WineLib API
calls instead of the Windows calls. This is not the same as emulating
a Windows program under Linux using Wine. The final product is a Linux
binary that only runs under Linux.

Hopefully if people did this they would open source their VSTs to keep
with the spirit of GNU/Linux.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx