[linux-audio-user] Re: Re: Interview with EnergyXT Developer

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Sat Nov 18 00:58:35 EST 2006

Paul Davis:

> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 08:44 +0100, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>> Fons Adriaensen:

>>> What does that mean, a VST compiled for Linux ? Will it work without
>>> a Windoze emulator ?
>>>

>> Sure, many vst plugins either don't have a gui, or are based on toolsets
>> that are available for linux as well, such as juce, vstgui and fltk.
>> (I've been reading the vst development list for some years)
>
> vstgui is not really available for linux at this time. theoretically
> there is a motif backend, but it seems that hardly anyone uses it or
> even attempts to make sure that it works with the latest changes to
> vstgui.

Yeah, you are right. Didn't think enough before posting.

> i think that the number of vst plugins using JUCE or FLTK can be counted
> on the fingers of one person's hands.

Maybe, but you also have qt, fox, wxwindows and others that might be used.

Anyhow, at least theres a bunch of gui-less vst plugins, so you need many
hands to count all of the plugins that doesn't require more than a
new makefile and a few #ifdefs here and there to recompile for linux.