[linux-audio-user] [ANN] jack_oscrolloscope 0.1

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Tue Nov 21 15:01:53 EST 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:50, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> It comsumes a lot of CPU if you use many channels.
> On my 2 Ghz P4, 16 channels take 94%. Almost all of this
> is taken by X11, which indicates that there's something
> strange.

I assume you're using SDL. If you can, try OpenGL, that should take most
of the work off the CPU.

Apart from that... well, redrawing the entire window, 50 times a second by
default, is expensive (although I'm sure there's a lot of room for
optimization). Depending on what you're trying to do, a lower frame rate
might suffice, and reduce the CPU load significantly.

Another thing you could try is to change both occurences of SDL_HWSURFACE
in video.h to SDL_SWSURFACE. Does it make any difference? On my machine
it doesn't, so I wasn't sure what to use.

Also note that currently, even in non-scrolling mode, jack_oscrolloscope
redraws the whole window on every frame, because was easier to implement.
Changing that is somewhere on my todo list :)

    Dominic