[linux-audio-user] Issue with TAP plugins

Yves Potin yves at jazzcomputer.org
Fri Nov 24 16:08:51 EST 2006

        Hello.
        I encounter a weird and irritating problem which seem to concern
TAP plugins.
        Sometimes there seem to be a bad wire in my hardware, quite
everything start to sound with lots of cracks, turning all the sound
system to be unusable. After hours and hours investigating, I notice that
when I turn off all TAP plugins, things reintegrate normality. For example
Zynaddsubfx often, not always, produces rains of CRR CRR CRR when playing
a sequence together with an Om patch which uses TAP reverb or TAP pink
noise. Turning off the Om patch produces immediatly a normal sound in
Zynaddsubfx (and also deleting the TAP plugins from the patch)...
        The worse thing is that some of my mixes have become completely
unusable in Ardour. I intensively use the TAP reverb on some tracks,
everything worked fine around September and before, even if there were
occasionnaly, and randomly, some of these noises. But now there are some
mixes I just can't play anymore without turning off all the TAPS
reverbs. I even encounter tons and tons of xruns...

        I regularly upgrade my gentoo system and the kernel, *everything
works really fine* but this precise point which seems to get worse and
worse. I have *not* upgraded Ardour (0.99.3 version). I know that
softwares like jack-rack complains when one try to use TAP plugins, saying
they are not real time, but those plugins seemed to function normally
before with lot of other softs... And it would be really a pity to stop
using them.

        Two questions : am I alone to encounter this issue, and what kind
of debug information could be of a help ?
        My setup is dual Opteron, 2 Go RAM, SATA Drives, RME Multiface II,
Gentoo 2006.1, kernel : 2.6.18.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT and Alsa  Version
1.0.12rc1 provided with this vanilla kernel, normally patched for real
time.
        Thanks in advance for any kind of help,

Y.