[linux-audio-user] Re: Software recommendation

Carlo Capocasa capocasa at gmx.net
Tue Nov 28 15:38:15 EST 2006

> This is a request for information about which bit(s) of software
> people would recommend for a particular musical workflow. I build
> my synthesizers in Puredata and I have an uc33 controller to do knob
> tweaking via midi. This Christmas my girlfriend is getting me a USB
> midi keyboard and I'd like to start writing some 'live' tracks using
> that. Puredata's strong point is not sequencing and notation, so what
> I need is an application that I can send midi notes and controller data
> through, which will remember them and pass them on to Puredata. Ideally I
> could go back after playing a track live, and shift notes around, modify
> controller envelopes etc. I am happy to do something like use vmidi
> loopbacks or whatever. I'm on Debian and my preference is for something
> that won't pull in too many wacky dependencies, but please don't let that
> stop you suggesting something. I use Fluxbox and mostly Gtk based apps.

I'd also say SEQ24 is your best run for your time. GTK, very lean, very
simplistic. Does what you want. One drawback: Sequence lengths cannot be
arbitrary, 1,2,4,8,16,32 or 64 bars. If this is a showstopper I would
recommend writing to the author (or starting a campaign for people to
write to the author) and ask for that.

The next closest bet would be Rosegarden, but that's a full-fledged KDE
App, which is why I stay away from it.

Another option is Jazz++, which is fairly good but doesn't get a lot of
press for some reason. It's cross-platform but fairly lightweight on linux.

Still, I'd love to see Seq24 implement arbitrary sequence lengths
myself... and it's such an exceptional program in how useful it is and
how simple it is at the same time.

Carlo