[linux-audio-user] Making audio CDs - a simple way

lanas lanas at securenet.net
Tue Nov 28 17:26:43 EST 2006

Folks,

  Not too long ago I've asked about how to make audio CDs.  I was
given a hint about how to generate a TOC, complete with an
example and a link to one of Ardour's option that does something
in the same vein.

  I then kinda of remembered that a few years ago I did some
audio CDs and never had to write anything like this or even be
remotely with TOCs and such.

  So it went to the backburner and came back today.  After a
little research I found this simple way for making audio CDs from
ogg files (I guess .wav @ 44.1 KHz from Ardour can be used, but
have not tested it so far).

  Here goes the recipe, assuming 44.1 KHz ogg files:

1) Make a new directory and copy all ogg files in there.

2) Convert ogg to wav (ex. with loop1.ogg)

    ogg123 -d oss -d wav -f loop1.wav loop1.ogg

    (a simple bash script can handle that)

3) Erase all ogg files from this directory

4) Blank the CD-RW (if needed) (example using SuSE's way for
   devices)

   cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 -eject -v blank=all

5) Check the total size of files and be sure not to exceed CD's
   capacity

6) Make the CD (again, SuSE's way for devices)

   cdrecord -pad -v dev=ATA:1,0,0 -eject -dao *.wav

7) Enjoy on CD players that can play CD-RW discs.  You can also
   use CD-R discs for players that do not handle CD-RW.

I guess what the TOC file adds, is the ability for capable CD
players to display the name of the tune, the authors, etc...

Cheers,
Al