[linux-audio-user] Re: Software recommendation

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Nov 28 21:34:08 EST 2006

Hi Carmen,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 03:54:50PM -0500, carmen wrote:
> > Puredata's strong point is not sequencing and notation,
>
> sure but then neither is it the forte of linux audio software in general. for sequencing i definitely dig Pd+Tk a lot more than eithe seq24 or Dino, since youve got full access to the data for further massaging/accessing in unconventional ways without being bound to a clicky-clicky GTK workflow.. and arent bound to MIDI-enforced notions of what is a track, what is a folder of tracks, what is a region, etc..
>
> http://replic.net/~ix/pr/seq.png for note/part editing, http://replic.net/~ix/pr/lg.gif for streaming control-data. just grab /extensions/gui/ix/{mat,lg}.wid and [widget]..plug the xlets into PDContainer, Pool, or the storage of your choice and get editing...using del, metro, pipe, or what have you for playback..

Those screenshots look awesome.

I have used Purdata for sequencing stuff myself, and have created
abstractions for doing all kinds of envelope stuff and written two CDs
worth of tunes in just Puredata with no additional software. I think I
understand it's raw power by now. :)

For this project though, I *want* to be bound to MIDI-enforced
notions of what is a track, what is a folder of tracks, what is a
region, etc.. I don't want to have full access to the data for further
massaging/accessing. I want to sit down and just play without having to
spend ages patching together permanancy solutions with my right brain
whilst playing music with my left brain. I am trying something different
that I've never tried before, and pure Pd is not useful for what I want
to do here (though it is useful for a lot of other music I write).

> > > so what
> > > I need is an application that I can send midi notes and controller data
> > > through, which will remember them and pass them on to Puredata
>
> for this i like rradical-style figure-8 abstraction to timestamp events and shuttle them onto storage - you can alligator-clip them anywhere in a patch, instead of having to keep track of midiout's and range remapping into/out-of midi and the subsequent resolution loss..

That's cool; I use something very similar when do I
knob-tweaking-experimental-algorithmic-music and it's lots of fun!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx