[linux-audio-user] Re: Software recommendation

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Nov 28 21:43:15 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:38:15PM +0100, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> I'd also say SEQ24 is your best run for your time. GTK, very lean, very
> simplistic. Does what you want. One drawback: Sequence lengths cannot be
> arbitrary, 1,2,4,8,16,32 or 64 bars. If this is a showstopper I would
> recommend writing to the author (or starting a campaign for people to
> write to the author) and ask for that.

I had another look at Seq24 after James posted about it. I've actually
hooked it up to Puredata before, and it was fun to play with, but I hadn't
realised that it had an inbuilt song structure arrangement facility. That
is really wonderful and hence Seq24 looks like my choice for this
project. I might take the next few days before the keyboard arrives to
hack the code a bit and put in the ability for arbitrary length sequences.

> Another option is Jazz++, which is fairly good but doesn't get a lot of
> press for some reason. It's cross-platform but fairly lightweight on linux.

Looks good. Weird that I can't apt-get install it in Debian. Maybe if
they had screenshots on their website it would get more attention. I'll
probably compile this one and give it a run.

> Still, I'd love to see Seq24 implement arbitrary sequence lengths
> myself... and it's such an exceptional program in how useful it is and
> how simple it is at the same time.

Yeah it really seems to strike that balance wonderfully!

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx