[linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 03:04:31 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Where is a guide to doing this?
>
> http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/Low-latencyKernelBuildingHowto
>
> A bit debian specific, but should prove useful.

Forgot to mention I'm using Debian.  Great, though, this page was the
first thing I tried.  It worked as far as booting the kernel, but my
latency was horrible.  I have read that the patches mentioned in it
are considered obsolete, and that simply having libpam patched to be
rlimits-aware is sufficient.  I have some libpam files for i386, but
I'm on AMD64 now and I'm not sure what to do.

> I'd advise you to start from the .config of your running kernel,
> otherwise it's gonna be a long journey.

Yeah, I was doing that too.

> > I have two weeks until the end of the semester and lots of music
> > to do, but I'd still like to use Linux for it.
>
> Since this is your first time, I wouldn't bet my money having your own
> kernel *and* doing much work on it in two weeks. There are always small
> things that needs fixing...

Not exactly my first time, it just hasn't been working.  I'd even
settle for a standard Debian kernel, if I could run audio on it
reliably.

-Chuckk