[linux-audio-user] Real-time kernel

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 07:07:59 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Forgot to mention I'm using Debian.  Great, though, this page was the
> > first thing I tried.  It worked as far as booting the kernel, but my
> > latency was horrible.  I have read that the patches mentioned in it
> > are considered obsolete, and that simply having libpam patched to be
> > rlimits-aware is sufficient.  I have some libpam files for i386, but
> > I'm on AMD64 now and I'm not sure what to do.
>
> You don't seem to have a way to let jackd run with elevated
> priority yet. This should be your first priority, because even with a
> realtime kernel you will get horrible latencies, unless you fix that.
> (IMO not a lot of people really need a RT-patched kernel nowawadays.)

lol, so I manually downloaded the libpam files from ubuntu, and all of
their dependencies, and installed them all, and I now have 8 broken
packages.  To reinstall those broken packages would remove hundreds,
and to remove them would remove hundreds, like such favorites as bash
and dpkg.  I'm just going to remove all these ubuntu libpam-related
packages for now.  I have a sequencer working now in Windows with
which to do my work (it's far easier to use than Rosegarden anyway),
then when I have a week or so with no deadlines I'll try to get all
this working.
I must be doing something wrong.  I've had nothing but problems with
Linux since I started, that no one else seems to have.