[linux-audio-user] Re: Software recommendation

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:21:24 EST 2006

Being a MusE developer and long time user, I'm merely asking as to
understand

> what other users lack in MusE that we might fix to make it better (apart
> from
> mediocre publicity...).
>
> This questions is definately not just directed at Carlo.

Hi Robert!

I really like Muse, but  for me it fits a different niche than seq24.
Personally I would always choose Muse over RG (KDE is not my fave). But I
think RG and MusE (and cubase and cakewalk etc.) are really let down by
their very weak editing of loops. If there was some way to edit specify
loops (drum or baseline) and then sequence them in a non-clunky way, I think
it would be great. The way I work with it is often to design the loops as
single bars then copy-paste them, but it is not a particularly easy way of
working (compared to seq24) and the labeling of the bars is quite fiddly (if
it works at all.. I can't really remember). For sequencing non loop-based
music (classical, jazz etc.) then I think MusE is really nice.

Two things I would really like to see in MusE: DSSI support, and some way of
remembering what the connections were to individual tracks (just having the
ability to associate a longer piece of text with each track would be nice -
it would enable me to write what instrument that track was driving, and what
preset I need to load into that instrument.. maybe LASH will be able to do
this sometime, but with the lack of support from most software it is not
really an option now).

James