[linux-audio-user] Re: ANN: bristol 0.9.5-60

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 1 06:41:18 EDT 2006

>to programmatically _check_ the sample rate that ACK is set to

I will look into this as well as it should be possible and would clean up
the interface considerably.

>I needed to manually add a MIDI input connector to JACK for Bristol, and
>"connect"

I recently bought a USB keyboard, it works here with aconnect but that is
because I do not always run jack. I am pleased to know that qjackctl works
though.

>No response to pitch-bend or mod-wheels, it seems.

Funnily enough I uploaded -66 yesterday night. If fixes a number of issues I
found from linking up the USB keyboard. Pitch bend was broken, it should now
be fixed. The Mod wheel should work, in as much as I link it to CC #1, but
some of the synth patches will not respond to Mod - depth and effect are
sometimes controlled by the synth settings. If the Mod does anything then it
should be audible from the GUI mod wheel. If that does anything but the
synth mod wheel does not then it is a bug. At the moment bristol will not
remap CC to controls, which means the fix is probably something I have to
do.

I am working  on code to allow you to link arbitrary CC into bristol
controls, and to give more GM-2 support, but that is a little way off.

The other things that was broken is keyboard assigment and release - note
on/off can intermittently be lost. I was surprised by this, not just that it
happens but also that it was so pronounced. It turned out to be an issue
that I never saw with a standard MIDI interface, I could read note messages
and apply them faster than MIDI could deliver them at 31.25KHz. The USB
interface is considerably faster, so my code, which only executed one note
message per 'select()' could fail. This is an odd interface to the ALSA SEQ
but was easy enough to fix once the penny dropped.

Work is going on to change a lot of the MIDI code. Sustain does not work in
-66 (although that was fixed last night), programme change is not
implemented but is high on the list and loads of other stuff.

Regards,

Nick.