[linux-audio-user] Sound Works... Sometimes

David Causse nomoa at wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 1 15:31:47 EDT 2006

Steven Cabrera wrote:
> Well after further review it looks like the .asoundrc file doesn¹t have much
> to do with it.  Now it looks like the sound will work about every 4th or 5th
> time I boot.
>
> And also I looked at my /proc/asound/cards and it shows my delta 44 and the
> Unitor 8 but what about my built in apple sound?
>
> [steve at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [M66            ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 66
>                       M Audio Delta 66 at 0x40, irq 54
>  1 [AMT8           ]: USB-Audio - AMT8
>                       Emagic AMT8 at usb-0001:02:0b.2-1.3.4.2, full speed
>
> Can someone please help me with this??

It looks like a module loading problem

You should update your modprobe.conf to load the 3 devices and assign a
static card index to each.
You just have to identify what is the module name for the Unitor and then
add it to modprobe.conf.
The snd-powermac cannot be correctly loaded according to your
modprobe.conf, its card index is taken by the AMT8 (module loaded earlier
maybe by some hardware detection mechanism).
If you try to modprobe a snd-card on an index already used, the card is not
registered but the module is visible in lsmod (weird).

your modprobe.conf should look like this:

alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
options snd-ice1712 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-powermac
options snd-powermac index=1