[linux-audio-user] 70th Birthday of Steve Reich.

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Oct 3 19:08:41 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 17:24 -0400, Forest Bond wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 09:48:17AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 10:53 +0200, Maarten de Boer wrote:
> > > Today is the 70th Birthday of composer Steve Reich.
> > >
> > > In his honour, I ran Stevie Wonder's "Happy Birthday" through tapiir
> > > (+ jack + rezound)
> > bravo!
> >
> > and a happy birthday to steve reich, whom i first encountered at the
> > tender age of 16 and my life has never been the same since. one of the
> > many geniuses of 20th century music.
>
> I bet that's a heck of a story.  I wonder if it would be acceptable use of
> bandwidth to tell it?

i think you're supposing that "first encountered" meant "met in person".
alas no. i was just putting on the headphones in our family living room,
about to listen to some klaus schulze or tangerine dream or whatever
kraut-space-music i had just purchased. the system was set to listen to
BBC Radio 4, and as i put the phones on i came in on the middle of
"music for 18 musicians". at 16, or perhaps any age, and in 1979,
figuring out what on earth that music was seemed impossible ... not
gamelan, not rock, not dub, not space music, not classical, not african
drumming. it changed me forever. sorry there's no good story about
actually meeting reich :)

--p