[linux-audio-user] All sounds of Bristol/ZynAddSubFx/etc?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Tue Oct 3 19:17:58 EDT 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
Drucer Ninetynine <drucer99 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Folderol <folderol at ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
> > I'm a bit confused here. I don't see how you CAN go
> > though all the Zyn
> > presets - or are you really meaning the voice/patch
> > banks?
>
> I guess just some general softsynth demos would do
> just fine.

Well you could always follow the links some of us put up on here :)

I use Zyn quite heavily (not that I'm suggesting I can manage more
than a fraction of its capabalities). Thorsten uses om amongst other
things etc.

If you would like to grab http://www.folderol.ukfsn.org/Collection.zip,
unzip it and put it in your Zyn banks directory then, using the virtual
keyboard you can hear what these sound like - That's on top of the
rather large range that Paul has provided by default!

> What I'd like to know is - how good are these soft
> synths? If you go to URL below, you can hear Van
> Halen's "1984" intro song that was played with
> Oberheim OB-Xa. What I'd like to know is - is it
> possible to play that song with software synthesizers?

Unfortunately I can't get this to play. I'm never terribly bothered
about getting my browser to play stuff. The streaming quality is usually
pretty naff so if it doesn't work immediately and won't allow a download
I don't usually bother.

> I've been playing guitar since 1984 and I do not know
> much about hardware synthesizers and I know even less
> about software synthesizers. But I wanna learn this
> stuff!

After about a year, I think I am just beginning to understand Zyn's
capabilities. Now I have to learn how to use them!

I suspect that the real limit is not Zyn itself, but the speed of your
processor.

--
Will J G
http://www.musically.me.uk