[linux-audio-user] Music: There's A Girl

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Oct 6 09:54:11 EDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 02:42:01PM +0200, Robert Jonsson wrote:

> > http://www.archive.org/details/theres_a_girl

> Oh, this was an odd bird, as usual very well produced!
> Recalling some of your earlier pieces this feels very differently. Partly of
> course because there are real voices in there. :)
>
> I found the asian theme in the beginning very airy and nice. As someone else
> noted it changes to something else when the vocals come in, quite nice but
> the vocals could be processed further.
> I think the lead lacks some presence, possibly just bring it closer in the
> mix, or increase high mid (or something).

I wanted to make the lead sound a bit distant, as the basic idea behind it
is a sirene ala Odysseus, allthough not all seductive, but a bit obnoxious.
Didn't think about her origin ... dang now I drew an european girl for
the cover ;)

> At times there is some low frequency synth sound in the background that
> competes with the voices (or is it a voice?), it grows a little muddy over
> that period.

It's noise through low-pass filter with resonance and the pitch for cutoff.
It's meant to be something between whistling wind and male humming choir,
a backdrop to give the lead context. It shouldn't compete, so I might look at
this again.

> As I said, very well produced, so my comments are therefore of the nitpicking
> kind. Or as a friend always says; I compare everything with the sun. ;)

Heh, thank you, thank you :)

> Oh, one last question. The drumming, is that an Om patch??

2, kick and a snap/snare thing.
They might resurface as Ingen examples or perhaps in Smack.

--
Thorsten Wilms