[linux-audio-user] Control path in Om

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Oct 6 14:13:17 EDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 07:15:11PM +0200, Yves Potin wrote:

>         Hi.
>         I'm becoming like a goat, as we say in French, when trying to
> pilot a control path with a midi input in Om.
>         Let's say I take the osc provided in the CAPS suite, which has its
> frequency available as a control parameter (in green). How can I control
> this parameter with another thing, for example  a MIDI input, as I can
> find absolutely no module which has a frequency as a control (green)
> output ? (there are the frequency modulators but again it raises the
> problem to enter in this module a frequency, and find a frequency as
> control signal at the ouput. None of the four frequency modulators seem to
> permit this).
>         And if I want the (blue) output of a VCO to control another thing,
> let's say the frequency, or depth, or whatever, of a LFO which has a
> control (green) input, or the frequency of a filter, how can this be made
> ?

You just have to use the right plugins. Control rates are good for static
parameters and you rarely will use them for something dynamic.

Use control rate frequency oscs only for fixed freq.
Use audio rate frequency oscs if you want to modulate it.

There's a control to audio rate plugin and there's some tracker plugin
for the other way (can't remember name and collection right now, sorry).
I hardly ever need them.

>         If I understand well what a synth is, I always believed that the
> output of a module can be used either as an audio signal or a control
> signal. What did I miss in Om ?

That's classic modular synthesis, yes.
Audio rate is expensive, and that's why LADSPA has 2 rates and Om follows.

--
Thorsten Wilms