[linux-audio-user] cd ripping in linux

Rob lau at kudla.org
Tue Oct 10 05:01:45 EDT 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 23:40, carmen wrote:
> anyone got a 1-line bash cd-ripping script?
> presumably this is what grip ends up doing anwyays..

Yeah, after it goes out and looks up the artist and track names
on cddb/freedb/flavorofthemonthdb, and then uses those names
when it creates the wav and/or mp3/ogg files.  You might be able
to do that in bash but I think your one liner might be a pretty
long line.

I personally prefer ripperX, or a gambas app I wrote years ago,
probably wouldn't even compile now, that lets me selectively
merge consecutive tracks (lots of Yes, Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd,
etc. in my collection) but grip is fine.  I have a perl script I
use when I want to rip CD after CD, but it's a lot more than one
line.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a reliable way, in
whatever language, to either (a) detect if a CD drive's tray is
open, or (b) detect whether there's media present without
sucking the CD drive's tray in (i.e. if it's popped out, assume
there is no media?)  I started looking in /dev and /proc files
and investigating ioctls and all that stuff back then but I
never did get it working.  It's like Schroedinger's CD tray.

Rob