[linux-audio-user] Linux-friendly portable music player?

Dmitry Baikov dsbaikov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 04:35:54 EDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Brad Fuller <brad at sonaural.com> wrote:
> Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> > Hello. What would be an economical and Linux-friendly portable
> > music player?

IMHO:

I may sound too mainstreamish and pro-drm (but I am not), but i will
suggest ..... ipod.
I do not know, may be it is so popular in your country, that it is a
nasty taste already.

But for me it has perfect design, very usable interface and greatly
works with linux.
It is seen as usb-disk, but you have to use gtkpod to upload songs, as
it uses database to navigate through music. It may sound as a
deficiency, but is a plus actually - you can select songs by a variety
of rules.

As for DRM-issue, AFAIK, Apple created ITMS for a sole reason of
convincing music industry, that mp3 players are ok. I think they make
much more money on players, than on songs.

Yes, it can't record - but it's a Player and it plays good.
Yes, it has no ogg support - it supports AAC which is standard and
free (or I am wrong?)

I'm not praising Apple, but I think that as a Player-only device ipod
is nearly perfect (missing ogg and flac).

Regards,
Dmitry.

P.S. I do not own ipod :) My girlfriend has one.