[linux-audio-user] [Music] a samba

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Oct 11 04:52:20 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:56:00AM -0600, Steve D wrote:

> http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/ogg/stephen-doonan_samba-1.ogg

> Then I used Rosegarden's MIDI mixer to balance the sound levels (to
> where they sounded good to me anyway :-), and had Rosegarden play back
> the MIDI to my external hardware tone generator (A Roland FantomXR is
> what I used for this recording), and recorded the resultant audio
> through an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card back into the computer, through
> jack (qjackctl) and back into an audio track in Rosegarden.
>
> Then I exported the audo track as a .wav file, quit Rosegarden, opened
> the file in Audacity (I love Ardour and Jamin, but I wanted to limit
> myself this time, and Audacity is a fine application in its own right)
> and normalized the audio, then exported it as an OGG Vorbis file. I
> guess I could have just used the command-line programs normalize and
> oggenc instead.

Interesting. I usualy record each single track at the highest volume
below clipping. Often I end up with headroom and I then normalize in
sweep. Besides allowing more voices when working with Om/Ingen, this
also makes for more fexibility working with it later, remixing, sharing

> Then I tagged the OGG with easytag (nice program), with the Creative
> Commons attribution share-alike license:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/

Also in my toolbox. Nice to see you using my prefered license :)

> It's so much fun to create music, and so much fun to use the truly great
> tools available in Linux now.

Yep.

> I wish I knew some local musicians (a drummer, bass player and maybe
> another instrumentalist like a guitarist or sax player, to form a small
> trio or quartet), but I don't (I live in a very rural area with not too
> many musicians to begin with and no way to make a living at it), so I
> just play all the parts myself as best I can.

The piano is great. The percussion is not stiff, which is good, but it
lacks the drive I associate with Samba. I think it's not tight enough.
The bongo(?) is a bit loud.

--
Thorsten Wilms