[linux-audio-user] VST support in Ardour2 beta.

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Wed Oct 11 11:41:26 EDT 2006

> How do I compile VST-support into Ardour2 beta?
> VST=yes, but after that?
> Where should i put the VST SDK 2.3 directory?

 Make sure you have wine installed. (I tried with the latest).

 You have to copy the vstsdk2.3/source/common/*.h to /usr/include/vst
 (I think this is a bug. You shouldn't have to be root to install ardour)

 Put the vstsdk2.3 directory in the lib dir of the ardour source tree, IIRC.
 (scons will complain and tell you where it expects it if that's the wrong
 place)

 Run 'scons VST=yes' (and other options if needed) and 'scons install'
 assuming the compile succeeds.

 Put some VST-dll's ,
 like these : http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php,
 in a "vst" directory in your home dir and make a  symbolic link to that
 from /usr/local/lib (I think there's a varaiable you can use to point to
 your directory as well)

 Start ardour, display the mixer, right-click on the effect box,
 select "New plugin" and you should see a VST tab as well as the
 LADSPA tab.

 - Peder