[linux-audio-user] Conexant laptop sound woes

John Mulholland johnmulholland at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 11 19:40:14 EDT 2006

Hello again all,

It has been too long, since I last posted. I hope all is happy and well,
and hopefull I'll get to see many of you again at FAVE this year.

Anyway, I do have some LAU business, and I really hope someone can help
me here because I am at a total loss.

A few months ago I bought a laptop for the wife. It is a Packard Bell
Easynote A8550 (1). They are selling these fairly cheaply at the moment
and it looked ideal. Unfortunately getting it to make a sound in Linux
has caused me no end of headaches. It appears that the problem relates
to the Conexant chipset(2).

 From what I can gather Conexant have not released the data sheet to the
ALSA crowd. And so, I suffer in silence. I am not too sure about though,
as I am not a massively technical person. This really frustrates me
because it seems that all the other PB machines have working sound!!

Does anyone know if Conexant regularly do this sort of thing? and how
often do they release data sheets? I fear that I may be waiting in
vain.FWIW this is all in Edgy Eft.

All help, comments and advice much appreciated!

Cheers
John