[linux-audio-user] Audio Promotion

Carlo Capocasa capocasa at gmx.net
Sat Oct 14 09:37:10 EDT 2006

Strongly looking into the "Free" business (yes, I said 'free' AND
'business') I ran across a world called "Second Life".

I know, they're a silicon valley company funded by venture capitalists
and hence, they are inherently evil and all. There source code is not
released as GPL (yet). But. A whole lot of people 'come' there to get
away from their lives, which is a tremendous opportunity for musicians
like us.

Here's how it works. You download a client (linux client is available in
'alpha stage' and has proven stable for me, XUbuntu 6.06 LTS, Dell
Inspiron). What you get is essentially a cross between an online
roleplaying game, a chat network, and a rich set of 3D modelling tools.
So you go into this vast world, and all these other people are there.

What's most amazing, they have a currency that can be converted into
U.S. dollars at an exchange rate that works similarly to converting to
other currencies.

And the beef is, they support streaming audio into virtual 'land
parcels', and the beef of beef is, they support doing that in OGG Vorbis.

Since I am building my concept of Online-Centered audio promotion that
also enables people to make a living, while preserving everyone's
authority over their own computers, this thing appears to be a godsend.

There are already musicians broadcasting LIVE concerts in there. Anyone
who would like to look into the possibilities with me is very welcome to
drop me a line: theman -AT- carlocapocasa -DOT- com. Or just would like
some help getting sat up.

The URL is: http://www.secondlife.com. My Second Life persona is called
'Carlo Andree'. With this information you can add me to your 'friends'
list, and as a LAU participant you are warmly invited to.

We have the potential here to: Be grande artists, retain creative
control, earn a wealthy living, AND preserve and further the goals of a
free society. Warm invitations to participate, and I feel this is just
one more useful tool.

Carlo