[linux-audio-user] Audio Promotion

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Oct 14 16:47:26 EDT 2006

On Saturday 14 October 2006 15:57, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Oh, not everyday you find an MMO that works in linux.
> Trying it out. Doesn't work too well as of yet, but atleast it
> works ;) The ogg support sounds very cool indeed...when I get
> audio working...hrm

I was interested in Second Life when they announced the Linux
client back in 2003 (it took almost 3 years for them to actually
release the alpha) and I really wanted to support them, but
nowadays it just looks like "Alphaworld with real money" to me.
I think the streaming concert idea is neat, and people are
always going to try to buy and sell in-game features, but just
as I can't compete with WoW players who sit there 18 hours a day
leveling up, I can't compete with people who can afford to just
buy themselves everything in SL.  The other thing is, to snip a
quote from Carlo's original post:

> > We have the potential here to: Be grande artists, retain
> > creative control, earn a wealthy living, AND preserve and
> > further the goals of a free society. Warm invitations to
> > participate, and I feel this is just one more useful tool.

In no way is SL or any other current MMO system a "free society".
Just like a shopping mall or Wal-Mart or an IRC server, you're
in the society at the owners' pleasure, and unless something
happens to turn it into a Neal Stephenson-esque publicly held
shared reality, that's not going to change.

Rob