[linux-audio-user] mixdown, ardour + soft synths

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Wed Oct 18 05:43:29 EDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:30:37AM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:

> I have some projects that uses some soft synths (zyn, amsynth, specimen)
> for sound generation and ardour for vocals etc. When I want to mixdown
> everything to a single stereo .wav I normally fire up mhwaveedit,
> connect the relevant outputs to its inputs, start recording in
> mhwaveedit and playback the project.
>
> Although this works ok, I'd like to get a recording that is *exactly* in
> sync with my project, mainly for sending the resulting mixdown to
> others, so that they can import it, add a track, mixdown their addition,
> send it back to me and it will sync up with my project when importet.

Hi Atte!

Not sure what you mean with "in sync with my project" exactly, but
how about recording to single tracks in Ardour and mixdown from there?
If someone else adds a track based on your mixdown, he could sent
the addition back, not a new mixdown. More flexibility, less degradation
if you use lossy encoding.

But consider using wavpack for not having to change bit depth.

--
Thorsten Wilms