[linux-audio-user] VST support in Ardour2 beta.

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Oct 18 13:39:32 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 19:13 +0200, Dragan Noveski wrote:

nothing above this point is relevant:

> cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Nicht genügend Hauptspeicher
> verfügbar)
> ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:862:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:556:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave

my wine config doesn't even try to open ALSA devices. not sure how you
stop this, but Wine should not be attempting to get access to any audio
devices.

> err:midi:MIDI_AlsaToWindowsDeviceType Cannot determine the type (alsa
> type is 100000) of this midi device. Assuming FM Synth

ditto for MIDI.

> wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0xf746d4e4 at address

this is almost certainly a segfault in a VST plugin.

> 0x7d95de0a (thread 0009), starting debugger...
> Usage:
>         winedbg [ [ --gdb ] [ prog-name [ prog-args ] | <num> |
> file.mdmp | --help ]
> err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c000013a flags 0 addr
> 0xb7dfb40f
> nowhiskey at murija2:~$
>
> and also generally, it looks for me that building ardour with vst
> support, makes the appi much more "fragile" than when built without vst.
> does anybody else has made similar experience?

you are loading random win32 code into ardour, some of which will crash
wine. so of course its less stable, just like there still a few LADSPA
plugins which can do the same thing.

the thing to do is to remove all vst plugins from wherever VST_PLUGINS
or VST_PATH points to. then start it up. see if it works. if thats OK,
the issues are entirely to do with specific plugins. then add back ones
you are interested one by one to verify that they work.

--p