[linux-audio-user] flash 9 beta

Rob lau at kudla.org
Thu Oct 19 18:31:40 EDT 2006

On Thursday 19 October 2006 17:59, Leonard "paniq" Ritter wrote:
> if i remember correctly macromedia's flash licence doesn't
> cover making player derivatives. you can create content
> creation tools, but not players. i'm not sure tho. i just
> heard that.

No, you're right, the official Flash specification is only
available to developers who agree not to make competing players.
Luckily for us, though, Gnash is a clean-room implementation as
far as I can tell.

Gnash isn't the first attempt at a free flash player, just the
one that's gotten the furthest along (though I can't verify that
right now because it requires OpenGL and my tablet running
Ubuntu from Emperorlinux currently can't do GLX and the pen
stuff simultaneously.)

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Rob