[linux-audio-user] Does anybody actually perform with ZynAddSubFX?

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Tue Oct 24 18:07:05 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 23:21, Folderol wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:52:08 +0000
>
> Carlo Capocasa <capocasa at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to set up ZynAddSubFX to perform professionally and
> > while in theory all is a bed of roses I just can't get the darn thing to
> > be at least REASONABLY stable enough so I would actually even allow
> > myself to THINK about going near a stage. No way with this pile of junk.
>
> I've not had much by way of stability problems I could positively lay
> at Zyn's door.
>
> > Don't get me wrong it sounds great, but under real time circumstances
> > the thing just breaks down. I just can't count the amount of time I
> > spend re-opening patches.
>
> Zyn doesn't seem to like repeated re-loads of patches/instrunents or
> parameters. My workaround is set up a complete parameter file per song,
> then launch Zyn by running the file (need option -l). I then kill Zyn
> when I have finished with that parameter setup (wash, rinse, repeat).
>
> Zyn seems to take up more processor time for every instrument loaded
> (up to the maximum of 16) so I make sure that saved parameter files only
> contain the ones I want.
>
> > So frustration expression past, has anybody done what I want to do,
> > being using Zyn under real time circumstances? And actual real LIFE
> > circumstances?

One thing you could try, assuming you use zyn under jack and it gets kicked
by it, is to increase the client timeout time with some jackd commandline
option. This way, even if you get audio dropouts, there's a greater chance of
zynaddsubfx actually "recovering" because it doesn't kicked by jack so
quickly.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!