[linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Oct 25 15:08:08 EDT 2006

Hallo,
Rob hat gesagt: // Rob wrote:

> > and without going into a document editor of some kind?
>
> If you can't start one of those programs I mentioned without
> dropping to a command line, you seriously need a new desktop
> environment.

I think, this is really a matter of taste and what you're used to. I
completely agree that users shouldn't be forced to use the command
line. However there also is the other side: I am one of those users
who love the command line.  I prefer a GNU Screen over a taskbar, my
file managers are rm, cp, mv and mkdir.

I'm quite fast with these tools, much faster than with most GUI apps
for things like starting programs, editing configurations, handling
files etc. and these tools are available on every *nix machine I saw.

But at work I have to use Windows XP, where I'm really missing my
trusted powerful bash. I think this is at least as bad as having to
drop to the command line now and then on Linux.

Ciao