[linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Oct 25 16:36:56 EDT 2006

Hallo,
Paul Davis hat gesagt: // Paul Davis wrote:

> no, no. i am talking about being in a file browser, not in a document
> editor. lets say i find foo.txt or bar.png or baz.pdf and i want to
> print it. what do i do?
>
> because in a command line environment i don't have to start up an
> editor, i just type "lpr foo.txt".

... and thus fire up the "printor" software. ;)

> it seems to me that this *must* be
> possible from the GUI equivalent, but in GNOME at least i cannot find
> it.

I guess something like Print is in the context menu of a lot of GUI
environments. It is in Windows, I guess it should be in Gnome as well.

But the point is, that a context menu is only so long, it starts to
get uncomfortable with more than a dozen entries. However in the
command line you have hundreds or even thousands of commands at your
fingertips. Just press TAB-TAB. If you want to print or if you want to
run a word count, if you want to upload with scp or whatever: It's all
there. To my knowledge the command line is the most flexible and
powerful "context menu" invented so far.

Similar things can be said about using textfiles and an editor for
configurations and settings. Where is the Settings GUI that lets you
do such a simple thing as add and store your own comment to a certain
dialog entry? - Not in Ardour AFAIK. ;)

Ciao