[linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Oct 25 18:25:06 EDT 2006

> in nautilus you can add that functionality with a script.

I think it is way overdue for Linux WMs to move out of the "can" and join
the "do" realm. It is frustrating to see so much effort right now being
poured into desktop candy which is only skin deep, because once a desktop
user realizes that their printer, or their video, or their WPA wireless, or
their <you name it> "just work," they'll simply give up on it. And before we
go off on a tangent, yes, it is not Linux's fault that certain vendors are
dubiously guarding their little patented zeros and ones, but at least we
could have a joint effort between WMs, Linux distros, and hardware vendors
to generate "safe" setups which "just work" and therefore reward those
companies who truly are worthy of our hard-earned income. Until all these
pieces are in place, not much will change in the Linux desktop world...

Best wishes,

Ico