[linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Oct 25 20:35:42 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 19:40 -0400, Rob wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 16:40, Paul Davis wrote:
> > coming from a command line background, it seems ridiculous
> > that the file managers/browsers have all omitted to leverage
> > the power of lpr and its filter system.
>
> You do realize that most office document and image formats are
> not plain text, PDF or Postscript, right?  Because for all of
> lpr's power, those are the only common formats it handles as far
> as I know, and running "my-resume.odt" through lpr will waste a
> lot of paper pretty fast.

my family is well trained to consider only PDF as a portable "final"
image format. PostScript is an acceptable second. ODT, .tex, .doc are
all considered "unstable, in-progress formats". this is reinforced by
the kids' schools which use homework upload sites that accept PDFs (they
also accept .doc, but i tend not to call attention to that).

when my wife needs to print more gift certificates for her massage
therapy clients, or directions to a house party, or her resume for
another mosaic mural residency, she has PDF's finished and ready to go.
from the command line, its so easy, from a GUI, it seems more work than
it should be.

--p