[linux-audio-user] Re: E17 - our choice of WM in the future?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Oct 27 14:53:23 EDT 2006

Drucer Ninetynine wrote:
> --- Rob <lau at kudla.org> wrote:
>
>> E16 was popular with the tweaker set and I know e17
>> will be as
>> well.  I personally have no use for weird bitmap
>> themes or
>> partially transparent terminals or
>> white-on-dark-brown color
>> schemes or weird ornamental fonts that make me feel
>> like I'm
>> using a fake computer on the set of one of the CSI's
>> or a
>> desktop interface that consists of "right click on
>> the desktop
>> to do anything", and that's what I remember from
>> e16.  I think
>> you just have to be a little more, uh, elite than me
>> appreciate that stuff.
>>

> It's not about elitism and it's not about wanting
> fonts that look obscure. It's about personality. It's
> about having that complete freedom to choose how your
> desktop looks and behaves. I think a lot of us people
> who make music want to have a personal touch even when
> it comes to their desktop software. The reason I
> brought up this conversation was to find out how you
> artists feel about WM that was created by artists.
> Carsten Haitzler (aka rasterman) - the main man behind
> the Enlightenment project has said that he's not a
> coder, he's just an artist who has to write code to
> make art.

I imagine he said that with tongue in cheek.

Part of the reason that e17 has taken so long to get to this stage is
because Raster has been otherwise employed in Tokyo working for Dokomo
writing code for their latest Linux based cellphones among other things.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com