[linux-audio-user] [Music] The deluge continues

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Oct 27 15:49:57 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:29 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> John Lyon wrote:
>
> >Where did you learn about composing using the 12-tone row?
> >

> Various books and scores, atonal ear-training, listening to a lot of
> freely and not-so-freely chromatic music.
>
> >From the book by Schonberg? (sp?) From another source?
> >

> I started with Reginald Smith-Brindle's Serial Composition. Later I
> studied useful texts by Charles Wuorinen, George Perle, Pierre Boulez,
> many others. I'm also a big fan of Elliott Carter and Stefan Wolpe,
> their music and their theoretical writings.

i might also humbly add "Music of The Whole Earth" which will provide
you with a very big picture view of scales, intervals and tone selection
against which the various forms used in the west over the last 600 years
become merely a handful of possibilities amidst a sea of beauty. not a
help with 12 tone specifically, but it helped me see where it fits into
the ocean of the possible.

--p